Hello again my dear reader,
I saw a very interesting blog entry recently about the search for the best burger in Bermuda. You can read it here. I was inspired by it to come up with a list of lunchtime options. My requirements for lunch are:
- good quality food (this requirements removes fast food from the candidates list)
- good customer service (this may be the most difficult requirement here)
- decent efficiency (lunch in less than an hour so I can be back at the office within 60 min)
- proximity to my office (in order to meet the 60 minute rule above, I work in the centre of Hamilton, by the City Hall)
- affordability (I dislike paying more than $10 for lunch, unless suitably impressed by the food or the service)
- choice of healthy meals (I place an emphasis on light meals i.e. low calorie, low fat and minimal sugar)
So far, I have the following candidates:
- Cafe 4 in Washington Mall: they make everything from carvery to sandwiches, fresh tossed salads, cakes, pastries and even sushi
- Quik Bites in Washington Mall: mostly Thai food and salads, they also make some interesting-looking cakes
- Common Ground on Chancery Lane: very good quality sandwiches, their veggie burger is spectacular, also free internet but not during lunchtime
- L Oriental Express round the corner from my building: I think they belong to the Cafe 4 chain and make the same food plus more, not sure if they do sushi though
- Delicious on the ground floor in Washington Mall: this place gets busy, they make everything under the sun and their sandwiches tend to be about $2 cheaper than Cafe 4
- Paradiso Cafe on the Reid Street entrance of Washington Mall: this place doesn’t seem so busy, also makes salads, pizza slices and interesting-looking cakes
- Latin on Victoria Street: during the day they serve lunchtime food like sandwiches and salads then later it becomes a restaurant and bar
- The Market Place on Church Street: this is a supermarket but their food counter serves all tastes and food varieties from fresh sushi to carvery and a selection of local seafood
- Chopstickson Reid Street: I haven’t tried this place yet but I hear really good thing about it so it’s only a matter of time. The tough part will be fitting within the 60-minute window.
I seem to be short one candidate, these polls tend to have 10 options. I’m tempted to add another place that I haven’t tried thus forcing myself to try a new place. But, I have to think about it, there are so many options that it’s tough to choose just one without having tried it.
So, please keep checking and I promise to revisit the lunchtime story with a clear ranking. Feel free to contribute suggestions, I’d love to know of new places too.